Thursday, May 7, 2009

You are in the Kitchen with Thora

"What is this blog?" I bet you're asking yourself (or not). Well -

Someone's in the Kitchen With Thora
is a cooking blog. Or a food blog. Occasionally it's an instructional, recipe blog. Sometimes I promise there will even be pictures. Currently it will often focus on Whole Grain Cooking, specifically home ground whole wheat cooking, because I just got my Nutrimill yesterday, and I am very excited for all the Whole Grain Possibilities. Also, I have been working to expand my repertoire with desserts, so there will liably be a fair number of dessert experiences sprinkled throughout my posts. Ultimately, this blog is a little cooking paradise where I revel in my life-long love of cooking and food. I can't promise this will be an educational blog, with in depth discussion of methods and recipes. I can promise that I'll attempt to make jokes of life and of my failed cooking experiences - which despite my long years of cooking still happen.

I take as my cooking muses (doesn't that sound nice and literary and pretentious?) The Little House Cookbook, and the Frugal Gourmet, whom I loved growing up, and my childhood self (can one muse for oneself? It sounds very Jungian - my younger self projects a muse for my older self, so the actual existence of the muse is not as important as the projection....).

I used to spend hours in the kitchen from about 11 onwards, standing at our large pine table with long benches, pretending to lead a cooking show, with our large picture window facing the backyard composing the camera and audience. I spent countless hours cooking, and instructing, in that little kitchen. I made bread galore, molasses candy, really salty baked beans (this was when I learned that par boiling salt pork is not a step to skip in the interest of time), and even a daffodil (marbled sponge and angel food) cake, which I have not since attempted until 14 years later, or last week.

Now that I cannot get away with blithely chattering to myself in my kitchen while I cook, I have created this little space as my own cooking show, and you all get to be the audience. Who knew that you would be a famous audience for a pretend cooking show one day? (Which all reminds me of my first kiss, which happened in a one act play I was in in High School about a cooking show played by three archetypes - Epicurean, Stoic and Cynic. The nice boy I kissed is now gay and attempting to be on Broadway. Good Times.)

For the rest of my daily musings and meandering memories, visit my regular blog, The Good News of Thora.

4 comments:

woolspinner said...

You got the Nutrimill!! I am very happy for you. I'm very sure this blog will be incredibly entertaining, as is you other one.

Beth's Mom (AKA Becky)

woolspinner said...

And the muffins look yummy.

Camilla said...

hahahahahahahaha you turned the poor boy gay?? hehehehehe. i still remember coming to that show and thinking that it was no fair my little sister had her first kiss before i did, not that it really counted. but still!

i also did my own little cooing show. good times. i liked putting all my ingrediants in seperate bowls first so you could add them all pretty like in the shows. do you remember when we would pretend we on commercials while eating things like cereal?

MMStarshine said...

I like this. I think I might try some of these recipies, especially if they involve baking. I CAN bake. It's the top of the stove that does me in (that and an unwillingness to measure).

I used to do cooking demonstrations for 4-H, which are a LOT like those cooking shows, and once, while demonstrating a 4 course meal, sliced my finger REALLY BADLY while making the salad and had to make it throug the rest of the demonstration while trying not to bleed all over the food. I thikn I got a blue ribbon, but I don't really remember. I just remember being glad for the pre-prepared meal (just like they do on the shows) that the judges ate because I KNEW it didn't have any bits of finger in it.